Tel: +44 (0)131 226 6975
Trinity College London Diploma in TESOL (LTCL)
The Trinity LTCL is one of the few internationally recognised TESOL Diplomas, and is regarded as Degree equivalent.
We offer the course in a distance learning format allowing you to carry on working while gaining this invaluable qualification.
The Course syllabus is an interesting balance of the theoretical and the practical and the LTCL is generally regarded within the TESOL profession as an excellent career qualification.
The Distance Learning Course can be begun anytime and can take from 6 months to 2 years to complete depending on the individual needs of candidates. Most people like to take from 12 to 15 months and work at a more leisurely pace.
The Course consists of working through specially prepared modules, completing various academic and practical assignments, and attending a 2-week residential component in Edinburgh at the end of the Course.
During this component all practical and written examinations are taken. Eight mandatory assignments will be set at regular intervals during the course. Candidates must complete all of these and submit them for marking and comment.
In setting these assignments and other study topics, particular attention will be paid to questions set in Trinity LTCL past examination papers. Candidates will be able to ask for advice on any aspect of the course at any time by telephone, fax or e-mail.
A basic list of text-books will be recommended and it is hoped that candidates will acquire copies of these. A further general reference list will be supplied.
Trinity TESOL Diploma candidates must be graduates with some TEFL experience. If you have an existing TEFL certificate such as the Trinity CertTESOL or Cambridge CELTA you need at least one year of full time teaching experience.
If you do not have a TEFL certificate you can still do the Diploma course if you have at least two years of experience in the TEFL industry.
Applications will be considered from non-graduates who have considerable TEFL experience particularly those with administrative experience. Non-native speakers of English are welcome to apply for the course. top
The following components of the Trinity TESOL Diploma are assessed and must be completed satisfactorily.
- A portfolio of 3 practical assignments completed during the distance component of the course.
- A 3 hour written exam (this is taken during the residential component with us in Edinburgh or, in special circumstances, at an approved test centre elsewhere).
- 4 taught lessons of 1 hour each observed by the course tutors and 1 taught lesson of 1 hour observed by a Trinity College London examiner during the residential component in Edinburgh.
- A 30 minute interview (mainly on phonolgy and phonetics) with the Trinity College London examiner during the residential component in Edinburgh.
The course discusses in detail:
- the main features of modern English as used communicatively, both in speech and print or writing, and the most usual ways in which people express common attitudes, feelings and relationships in English;
- ways of teaching English as a foreign, second or international language in a variety of learning / teaching circumstances, at various age-levels and stages of achievement, for various purposes, and to various types of learner and class;
- the development of major approaches to language learning and teaching and important factors which have influenced this development; the roles and status of English in the contemporary world;
- the major differences between English and candidates' L1 (if applicable).
Your Trinity Diploma will be recognised by further Education institutions globally enabling you teach at universities and colleges.
Open up your own school and be your own boss.
Secure a management position in a language school.
Write and publish your own ESL / EFL materials
Place your CV at the top of the ladder